Dark brown eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jwg423, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hi everyone, I am looking into getting a dark brown egg chicken.
    I am adding them to a flock of EE's and Orpingtons.
    Just wondering what are everyones opinions on Welsummers vs. Cuckoo Marans I can only choose to get one and I am leaning more toward The marans but I am interested in opinions from folks who already have these.
    What kind would you chose if you could only chose one kind?

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you are buying hatchery stock, don't count on the Cuckoo Marans' eggs being very dark. Buy from a Marans breeder for your best shot at the dark eggs. Black Copper Marans lay the darkest egg of all. Check the BYC auctions, or come to the Marans threads to find some breeders in your area, or those that sell hatching eggs. [​IMG]

3. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks, I think I have decided to get the Welsummer for now, and next year once I get soome practice in and learn how to properly use my incubator, I will try to purchase some Black Copper Maran eggs from a breeder [​IMG]
    Thanks for your response, it did help me make a decision [​IMG]

4. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Oh yeah!!!! Go with the Wellies. I have two of them and they ARE hatchery stock (like many of my original flock) BUT they still lay beautiful, BIG, dark drown (sometimes speckled) eggs almost every day. In fact it is rare that I don't get an egg from both of them every day! They are sweet big birds although mine tend to think they are the alphas of the flock. Best of luck!!

5. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Quote:Thank you! I emailed my favorite hatchery and asked a few questions today and she told me that her Welsummers lay speckled eggs and my mind went OOOOHHH speckles LOL
    she did also mention that yes hatchery chickens may not lay as dark of an egg that one may be expecting because breeders only hatch the darkest of eggs and hatcheries hatch eggs that may not be as dark but darker than the norm.
    I was wondering what egg production rate and size I could expect from these chickens so thank you...

Today my BF asks me what I am going to do with all of these eggs, hehe I am an addict! every time he orders his meaties I order more eggers [​IMG]
    I cannot help it I like pretty eggs [​IMG]

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I always loved the welsummers that I had mainly because they had such mild temperments and they were such big pretty birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by