1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Brown Leghorns? Light Brown Leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GracefulBantams, Jun 19, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What is the difference in Dark Brown Leghorns and Light Brown Leghorns? Pictures may be the most helpful [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The dark brown leghorns are much darker than the light. The light brown leghorn female has a salmon breast. There are probably photos on Feathersite.

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:Here is a pic of a light brown leghorn rooster that I got from feathersite,
    I should go get more pics.....
    [​IMG]

This is the light brown leghorn hen...
    [​IMG]

this is the dark brown leghorn rooster...
    [​IMG]

now for the dark brown leghorn hen...
    [​IMG]

I personally think the light brown leghorn rooster is much prettier!!
    Hope these pics help!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG] I now know that I have Light Brown Leghorn hens, I just have to find out if that is what the Rooster is I am looking at buying [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A couple of months ago I got some Brown Leghorn chicks. I didn't know if they were light or dark brown leghorns. I did some research and believe they are Dark Brown Leghorns. Here is one of the young pullets. I put her in a cage because she didn't want to cooperate.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by