Dark Brown Quail Egg

Chuckaloo Lover

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
I bought some courtnix Japanese Quail for incubating (white, golden and normal). When I received them, all were speckled except one which was dark brown, like a maran egg!

Any ideas why?! It hasn't hatched yet so unsure if there is any difference with the chick...If in fact the egg was actually fertile.

I've looked on the internet and found nothing about a pure dark brown quail egg so picking your brains on here :D

Thank you in anticipation

Lisa x

I sometimes get solid brown eggs and just assume they got overly spotted in the paint shop. I also at times get solid white ones and solid blue ones. Its not that unusual with Cot quail and fertility should be the same as the rest.

I've only had my quail since June, but already I've noticed a variety of eggs that pop up occasionally, besides the spotted. Sometimes there are the green/blue ones, the light brown and the dark brown, and some that are kind of frosted versions of the above colors.

Ive never gotten a solid brown one yet but occassionaly get a pure white or a blueish purple one. Some people think that the solids aren't as fertile but I have hatched pure white and the blue ones with no difference. Just a color blip!

Thanks. It wasn't fertile anyway! :D Looking forward to them laying eventually. My older ladies are brilliant layers :D

Back
Top Bottom