Dark brown runny poop from my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewchickieLTJ, May 22, 2019.

1. NewchickieLTJ

NewchickieLTJ Chirping

May 12, 2019
    Normal? I’ve checked the temp, and it’s 95 on one end and 80 on the other (I live in the south and my house is set to 78 degrees). They’ll be a week old in a couple days...should I go ahead and reduce the temp to 90 now? They do tend to sleep on the warm side too, so that’s why I haven’t reduced it.

Ocar3273 likes this.
  2. ultimatejimmy

ultimatejimmy In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2017
    Yep, that's normal.

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Totally normal. They have both wet, runny poop and the more solid, firm turds similar to adult chickens. Electrolyte in the water or a bit of Apple cider vinegar are both great daily additions. My chicks and adult girls all get Apple cider vinegar every day:thumbsup

4. NewchickieLTJ

NewchickieLTJ Chirping

May 12, 2019
    Ok, thank you! I’ve been changing it up each day, with sav-a-chick, acv, or plain water. The sav-a-chick package says to provide a plain water alternative, but there’s not really enough room in their box for that, so I just do a whole day with plain water instead.

Ocar3273 likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

All they need is regular fresh water. All Chicks have brown cecal poops. It's normal.

6. NewchickieLTJ

NewchickieLTJ Chirping

May 12, 2019
    Thank you! So do you not believe in the electrolyte or probiotic powders?

Ocar3273 likes this.
  7. chickens really

Nope...I really don’t.

Blooie, Ocar3273 and NewchickieLTJ like this.
  8. chickens really

Electrolytes are hard on birds hearts if given too often. Recommend one drink and that’s it.

Ocar3273 and NewchickieLTJ like this.
  9. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    :thumbsupCompletely normal

NewchickieLTJ likes this.
  10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't like all the -otics and -lytes added to water either. I figure chicks (and chickens) wouldn't be healthy if all those things weren't in balance already, so why would I give healthy birds more of what they don't really need and risk throwing that balance off? Even most of the packages say that they are for short term use in ill, stressed, or injured birds only, and that clean, fresh additive free water should be available at the same time. I wouldn't give my grandkids gallons of Gatoraid or Pediolyte just in case they get sick, but I do go out and get it if they need it, just for as long as they need it. So that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

You'll also hear lots about people adding ACV (apple cider vinegar, with the mother) added to the water to keep birds healthy. Well, I did too, when I first started. Then one day I ran out of it, and doggone it, I kept forgetting to get more. I'd get home from shopping, go out to feed and gather eggs, and smack my forehead because I'd forgotten the vinegar again. Guess what happened to my flock. Not a darned thing! They were still healthy with glossy feathers, no internal parasites, great egg production, and while I have no proof I think personally that their egg shells were a little more consistent in quality and hardness. Folks also say that it keeps their waterers cleaner of algae. That may be, but I'd rather spend one day a week cleaning the waterers and making sure they were ready to go than not check them because I have some false sense of security about vinegar taking care of it for me so I could extend the time between cleanings. Besides, all the fol-de-rol of the right amounts of this or that just complicate chicken keeping, and I'm lazy enough to always find the way to do things that makes the best use of my time.

It's all personal choice, when you get down to it. If it makes a person feel like they are doing more for their flock and being better managers, great. We all have our own styles and beliefs. Mine are often considered wacky and skewed, but my healthy flocks haven't seemed to mind one bit.

WELCOME TO BYC!! Where people are smart but the chickens are too often smarter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: