Dark brown runny poult poop HELP.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by briana1975, Mar 23, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I search this a lot of differant ways and couldn't find a answer. Poult started having slimy very dark brown poop. I scooped it out to take a closer look. I did not see blood. I am feeding Dumar feed. I can not find on bag anywhere that it is medicated. I have some Duramycin-10 on hand if needed. Poult is acting fine eating and drinking active and sleeping. Should I be worried and treat them or just wait and watch.They got a bit of hard boiled egg yolk this weekend. Otherwise it has just been feed. This is my first poults ever. Help.

2. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Ok I found a link about poop. It looks just like the picture that is brown and they call ceacal poop. What is this?

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Is it a constant runny dark?(like every time they poo) Are they overheated, over crowded, did you just change feed. that can cause changes in droppings. That's another one of those things where it could be anything. Dumor feed from TSC? I don't think it is medicated. Runny poo in chicks & poults can be a sign of cocci.

Steve in NC

4. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    yes it is constant runny dark. I clean out brooed 1 to 2 times a day. It started last night after I cleaned brooder and is still going on today. Should I do apple cider vinegar in water? Or is there somthing else?

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    you can give it a try, I think it's 1 tablespoon per gallon of water? I've never used it we feed medicated feed.

Steve

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is your poult or poults??

Charlie

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    They are at the start of their 3ed week.

8. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably cocci, however id think you'd see it in all of them if its more than one poult..

you will want some amprolium or corid asap..or you will loose your poults..
    apple cider vinegar in water will not help at this point if its cocci..

Its pretty much a fast killer in chicks and poults..

If they have it already cocci, med feed wont help at this point and you will want what i mentioned above and asap..

this is assuming you didn't have them on medicated feed.

charlie

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Now the poop has gone to a very dark green instead of dark brown. What is up with this ones poop?

10. Thomps Hens

Thomps Hens Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Ours do this as well, but I read that this is a normal poo about every 1 in 5 times a chicken has a poo. Someone please correct me if I am wrong so that I know the difference as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by