Dark Cornish birds

jgervais

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Jackson, MI
I consider myself a 90% vegetarian.
However, I get nostalgic around the holidays and love to cook a nice plump bird of sorts.
I would feel more comfortable if I raised this bird myself and know what it ate and where it came from.
So I'm not looking for a rapid production breed, and I'm definitely interested in a 'pure breed' not a hybrid.

My conclusion: Dark Cornish.
Hoping someone has some thoughts on this for me -- time to butcher? male/female preference? weight at butcher? can i house them right in with my laying birds?

I just finally moved my laying birds from in the house (what a dusty mess!) and now im looking at buying more chicks.... what is wrong with me?!
our new coop: http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-chicken-coop-ever.html

I'm not real sure I could pluck them myself anyway - so unless the butcher charges per hour I should be ok.

I have read that dark cornish have excellent flavor - maybe I should get a meatie mix to see for myself exactly which I prefer for the table...

Quote:
What do you mean by "meatie mix'? CornishXRock grow like crazy and should be butchered within 2-3 months or before they start having leg problems as a result of growing too fast and carrying around their own weight.

IMO flavor is a result of the feed chickens are fed, the more greens and seeds they are fed the better the flavor.

I was thinking more instead of just getting 10 dark cornish, to get 2 dark cornish, a few delawares, a few barred rocks and maybe an orpington to see which works best for me.

The chickens will be free range - which is another reason I would like to raise my own, I agree that what they eat effects the taste!

Back
Top Bottom