Dark Cornish Crosses

Phunktacular

Songster
Oct 29, 2016
Fulton, NY
I've seen tons of posts about crossing the Dark Cornish with other breeds but, none that actually list out the growth rates and experiences of raising them. I'm interested in what they were crossed with and process of weight gains compared to feed consumption and what the processing weight was and at what age they were processed. I'm finding times for the Dark Cornish as a purebred to be between 20-24 weeks to full roaster size.

I've been raising Cornish cross for the last few years and I've had mostly good luck with them. Would like something that I can hatch my own and raise as many as I want. I've got about an acre or so that I can allow them to free range on plus feed.

Any info and/or references would be great.

Thanks

I'm following. I have dark cornish right now and just killed two roosters at 24 week and I can't say I find anything special about them over another dual purpose bird yet. But I haven't grille dit yet either.
Did you get your darks from a hatchery? There is a big difference between show quality and hatchery quality. Hatcheries don't usually breed them for meat but for egg production. My Darks have MUCH more meat than a DP bird and I'm finding that they are pretty tender through 20 weeks.

I'm thinking about ordering some darks from a hatchery this spring and hatching some of my eggs to see how they look growing side-by-side.

I got mine from Ideal and the hens are pretty light. Where did you get yours or would you want to sell some eggs?
I got mine banded an weighed in week by week. The one rooster I know if good and is 6 pounds at 24 weeks now. The best 3 hens finally broke 4 pounds. It is all on my Dark cornish project thread.

I got mine from Ideal and the hens are pretty light. Where did you get yours or would you want to sell some eggs?
I got mine banded an weighed in week by week. The one rooster I know if good and is 6 pounds at 24 weeks now. The best 3 hens finally broke 4 pounds. It is all on my Dark cornish project thread.
I bought my breeder trio from a show breeder. The rooster was about 9lbs when I bought him at 6 months old. The hens were 6-7lbs. I may ship eggs next year, I was going to this year, but I had a baby back in June. The only things I hatched this year was guineas to sell. I hatched a lot of chicks from my trio in 2018 but I didn't weigh them as they grew. however, I got several 8+lb carcasses from my 6 month old cockerels.

6.5 month white cornish
20191118_112206.jpg
20191118_112243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom