Dark Cornish for Purely Poultry

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Considering getting some of these for a meat bird that will lay enough eggs to hatch out more for the family's meat needs. Who has them from here and what's your opinion of them?

2. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    Dark cornish grow pretty slowly. My girls are six months old and still not laying. The cockerels were fairly good size (3#) when we butchered at 16 weeks.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    DC are a beautiful meat breed, better bought from breeders than hatcheries though. They are as someone mentioned above slow growers (but that is often not a problem - depends on you needs) and sporadic at best layers.

4. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Hey Katy, good to see you're back! I am well aware of the difference between hatchery and breeder stock. Buying hatchery is the easier option, not the better one. I don't feel like nearly begging a breeder to come off of some stock, been there done that. If I could, it would likely be more than I am willing to pay for eggs. That's the other thing, I can buy chicks from a hatchery, tough to find a breeder that sells chicks.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh hey there big! I didn't look at who had written that post, just answered it lol sorry! get in contact with wooden animal and see if he will sell you some eggs. he started with a combination of hatchery/breeder stock and has been breeding up for quality, he has some pretty nice birds and is really easy to work with. don't you have a lot of bird breeders there in Ohio?

6. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    We at Purely Poultry would be honored if you chose us for your Dark Cornish chicks!

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I guess you would be the one to ask. About what size could i expect your birds to be at 20-24 weeks if fed a 21% protein feed all the way thru?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  8. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I wouldn't know exactly what number of pounds at a specific number of weeks with a specific type of feed.

9. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    for enough $$ I might be able to part with some young birds- if I have some== deliverable to Ohio in May.

PS. not talking 100+ for a pair or trio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by