Dark Cornish from Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Country Parson, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I am planning on getting some Dark Cornish. I am not too interesting in having what may be considered "breeder quality" birds. Hatchery chicks are just fine for my purposes. I will be raising these as meat birds, and heard they are active foragers.

Has anyone ordered these from Meyer hatchery? See their link: http://www.meyerhatchery.com and look under "Chickens" then "Brown-Egg Layers" to get to their Dark Cornish. For some reason I can't get a direct link to that page working.

What they call Dark Cornish looks a little different from other picks that I've seen.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    it distinctly says right on the webpage for dark cornish from meyer that they are NOT good foragers and need supplemental feed

direct quote: "Cornishes do not do well free range without supplemental feed."

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    eKo, that is one of the reason why I am worried it might be a different bird. Everything else I've heard about DC's is that they do forage well (supplemental feed, IMO, is always a given [​IMG]).

4. Meyer Hatchery

Meyer Hatchery Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Polk, Ohio
  5. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    ooooo meyer has ranbow rangers now!!! yay! (going to go check em out now... see how much it'd cost to have em shipped here)

i would maybe just get a couple (DC) and see how you like 'em

most folks say their CX don't range, and then there are others (myself included) who have seen first hand that they can and do

try em and see what works for you! [​IMG]

ETA: still cheaper for me in CO to get freedom rangers from JM/FRH - about $20 cheaper (shipping figured in) for 100 chicks (makes sense since the chicks are about $.20 cheaper from JM)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:are you drop shipping these birds? or do you have the breeding stock for the birds?

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Since they are not available for pickup.... then I would say yes they are drop shipped. [​IMG]

8. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:lol good notice jeff.... i didn't even look since it was so far away from me to begin with

and who was that the other day saying men don't pick up on the details?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Lol... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by