Dark Cornish Hen With Bald Patches On Head (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chocolatier, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Chocolatier

Chocolatier Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a sweetheart of a Cornish hen who got these pictured bald spots on her head during her molt this winter - both sides behind her ears. They aren't filling back in and she scratches there more than I think she should. I don't see any bugs or any sign of irritation and the skin looks normal. I've applied vaseline, neosporin and a fugicide cream without result.

Any suggestions? Nothing to worry about? Thanks in advance...

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/Thundermaker404/IMGP3691.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/Thundermaker404/IMGP3694.jpg

ETA: Having a little trouble embedding images here, so settling for links to the pics.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Gee, I wish I had words of wisdom for you. My guesses would be; add oil in her diet maybe? Vitamin deifiencey? LOL

3. Chocolatier

Oct 19, 2011
    I've got four others without the problem. She doesn't miss any meals (organic unmedicated layer feed, 2-3 hours per day supervised free range in a 4500 sq ft yard, and plenty of daily greens, scratch and dried mealworms) so I'm not leaning toward any deficiency.

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    YOU HAVE TO HAVE 10 posts to upload images LOL....even if we give our babies all the right foods, [which you are doing ] :thumbsup sometimes they need alittle more.....but like I said before, I am only guessing by what I have learned in the past.... :) .

5. Chocolatier

Oct 19, 2011
    Gotcha! Where might I find chickie-vitamins?

6. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Do you have a rooster? Sometimes they grab on there for balance or to keep them still. One of my rooster's favs has the same bald spots.

7. Chocolatier

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope, no rooster and the others don't pick on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by