Dark cornish? I've been so confused...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jossanne, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Since I pulled this chick out of the box from McMurray, I've been convinced it was a golden-laced wyandotte, and I was so excited. It started growing big quickly and feathering slowly, so I assumed it was a cockerel. It has huge legs, and is heavier and taller than the rest of the chicks. On the second picture, you can see a hint of the true leg color. They are not bright yellow, but starting to darken and turn brown.

Today this baby is 4 weeks old, and it's dawned on me that it's probably a dark cornish pullet, judging by the size, stance and color. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The stance and legs really do make it look like a dark cornish, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'd say GLW.

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I think you are correct, dark cornish. If you could get a picture directly from the front it would be easier to tell for sure. All the cornish are very square legs to breast.

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty square from the front.

[​IMG]

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    She looks just like mine did at that age! Dark Cornish Pullet for sure! Mine is such a sweetie and I think she will make a good mother. She mothers the other chick to death! LOL!

Shelly

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Ahh, yes that confirms it.

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks everyone! Good news and bad news... I really wanted a GLW, but if this is a pullet, that means I have one less rooster [​IMG]. McMurray does a pretty good job sexing chicks, from my experience.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:What did MM send it as?

10. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I ordered 25 rainbow layers. She's supposed to be an egg-laying pullet. My free exotic chick was a white polish. So far, I know for certain I have a SSH cockerel. I'm watching an RIR and an EE, hoping they're pullets. They guarantee 90% accuracy, so 2 out of 25 is about right. 3 out of 25 isn't bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by