1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Cornish or Cornish Roaster?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LoupGarou, Apr 26, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I don't want the Cornish X at all--I've been told that it does not thrive for the home flock in this area. However, since it looks as if I've found someone who might be able to process my birds for me, I might be looking for a meat bird to fill my freezer. Would the Dark Cornish or the Cornish Roaster be a better bird? Is there really a big difference between the two? Thanks!

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Interesting . . . McMurray advertises them as different birds. I'm almost definitely going to get the Dark Cornishes, then. Thanks!

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I would check for sure on that with McMurray. I know there is a white Cornish variety, but I have been unable to find anyone but McMurray who offers anything that even sounds like it.

My copy of "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds" shows a White Cornish as an example of the Cornish breed.

The reason I never pursued the White Cornish question with McMurray is they did not have availability on them until June anyway.

From what I read on their website though, I would have to think they are true Cornish, and not hybrids. I would call and confirm this though.

My sister raised Cornish Roasters from M Mcm a couple years ago and they did not look like broiler birds at all. They got very big and were extremely healthy. They were not the obese genetic freaks we are used to seeing with regular broiler birds. They looked like Cornish.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    They are another strain of Cornish X selected to mature later for a larger carcass weight . With proper management one will have the best results with the X's as they will both consume the same amount of feed but in the shortest time frame. Good luck.

6. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Thanks for the info BossRoo.

This leaves the question though... Does anyone offer White Cornish from a hatchery, or would you have to buy them from a breeder?

7. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    McMurray does offer the White Cornish, as well. That's one of the things that was confusing me, since I'm so new to this chicken thing. I honestly think that I'll just go with the dark cornishes and be done with it, if I get any meat chickens at all. [​IMG]

8. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    The only "White Cornish" I saw in McM's website was the bantam version...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by