1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Cornish? X-Breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Anuthatch, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    HI,

I got these 2 hens in August and sold to me as Barnevelders. I don't think they are Barnies but I recently saw a photo of a Dark Cornish. Are they what is called hatchery dark cornish? They aren't laying yet but the bottom one looks like she could be close. I'm guessing they are getting close to 20 weeks or there abouts.

Any comments?

Is the double lacing pattern a dominant color pattern in X-Breeding?

I'm really hoping for 3 - 4 eggs a week from them or they might be invited to dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    They look like hatchery stock barnevelders to me. They just aren't blocky enough to be Dark Cornish. Looks like you will get eggs very soon!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Barnevelders to me. Dark Cornish are usually thicker, broader, and stouter in appearance.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Barnavelder to me, too. Dark Cornish should have pea combs, while these have single combs.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4 on Barnevelders. You should get some nice chocolate eggs from them. :eek:)

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yes I agree. Barnevelders for sure.

7. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    Thank you for the input. Very interesting. It seems talked myself out of them being Barnies and didn't go back and look again as they've matured. They do have more of a Barnie shape than a cornish shape now that you all point it out.

And the single comb was throwing me for Cornish. I don't know must about genetics to know dominant comb types for x breeds.

Both breeds lay brown, right? Are Barnies usually darker ??

It makes me happy if they are stock Barnies just because that's what I expected when I got them from a barnyard.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome; and yes, both breeds lay brown eggs, but Barnies eggs are darker. The very dark brown eggs of Barnevelders, and other very dark brown egg laying breeds such as Marans, Welsummers, and Penedesencas are frequently referred to in the industry as chocolate eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by