1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Cornish x Copper Marans

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Crittercuddler, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    I'm sure someone here has crossed dark cornish with a Marans. I'm thinking of giving it a try myself since I have a couple marans roosters and a couple cornish hens. I'm wondering how long I should expect for them to grow to a decent weight for meat. Any words of wisdom?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Good morning. They will be table ready about the same time as the pure marans would be... Much younger than 14 weeks the meat yield will be low. Even at 16-18 weeks the carcass will appear "lanky" by modern meat bird standards, and the deep "Y" breast of the Marans will be seen.... You will likely have a few in every batch that show more of the Cornish body type.... To test any project, a "control" is needed to show any improvement gained. The control here would be hatching a few pure Marans along with the crosses. Good luck! Bill

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by