Dark Cornish X WPR and Madison Project

eldonrgv

Songster
Oct 5, 2016
Roma Texas
OK. So let's start this meat project with my Standard Dark Cornish with my girls White Plymouth Rock and Madison. Weighs varied as New Borns from 35 grams to a whopping 52 grams. Interesting to see that all DCxWPR are weighing more than the DCxMadusons being that the Madisons is a Dual Purpose Breed created by Pure Poultry (Not Recognized by the American Poultry Association) compared to the White Plymouth Rock, which is also a Dual Purpose bird and recognized as a Pure Breed. Below are the pics of the chicks with their weight on scale. This is day 1 after hatching, they will be fed turkey starter Blue Bonnet Brand. A feeder with 340 grams was set in brooder and tomorrow will weigh again the feed left to find out how much feed they had in one day.

Neat project. Following.

Sept 2015, I "accidentally" bought Madisons from Purely Poultry b/c I order "Quick Chicks" - pullets. At least 75% of them were Madisons & grew so fast! I began to wonder what they actually were when at like 10 weeks old, they were almost as big as a full-size chicken & bigger than the broody Partridge Chantecler that had helped raised them! I ended up not keeping them, as they were "pigs" at the feeder, so I'll be interesting to see how your crosses go.

Neat project. Following.

Sept 2015, I "accidentally" bought Madisons from Purely Poultry b/c I order "Quick Chicks" - pullets. At least 75% of them were Madisons & grew so fast! I began to wonder what they actually were when at like 10 weeks old, they were almost as big as a full-size chicken & bigger than the broody Partridge Chantecler that had helped raised them! I ended up not keeping them, as they were "pigs" at the feeder, so I'll be interesting to see how your crosses go.

They do grow fast. That's one of the reasons I chose them for Cornish cross, the fast growth and meaty heavy layers as well. I kept the two largest Madisons and one White Plymouth Rock for the breeding with the largest of my Cornish. Madisons turned out decent layers, my girl will lay 5-6 eggs then it'll take a break for 2 days and start laying again large Brown eggs. Its curious that the WPR cross are heavier than the offspring of the Madison since the Madison egg is larger than the WPR. This is my stock.

Yesterdays update on 1 day feed consumption of 9 chicks.
I added a feeder yesterday with 340 grams of feed. I just weighed the remaining feed 24 hrs later and showed 234 grams left, so 9 chicks ate 106 grams of feed in one day. Going to keep on doing this on a daily basis for 1 week to get an average of feed consumption. I know its going to change from today as they keep on growing. Today 11.7 grams per chick +/-

If you have access to the program, you can make your own.

I'm not so good on spreadsheets but went to documents and made a simple one to chart weight and feed on weekly basis. Ill probably add more cells later on like feed to meat conversions and cost of feed, need to do some studying first.

Just keep playing with it, it takes time to get the right setup and it may change as you go along.
Nice thing about having your own file is you can change it and try different arrangements and calculations on different sheets.
Just keep the main data recorded on that first sheet and it will always be there to plug into other sheets.

Back
Top Bottom