Dark Cornish..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Misty Oak Ranch, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    Does anyone here raise Dark Cornish chickens? I have found out that if I can raise them locally, I have a good market for them. However, I have no idea as far as how fast they grow, how big they get, their temperment (spl?). My expierence is limited to RIR and SLW. Also, if anyone raises them, do they sell eggs to hatch?

Thanks to all for any help.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Pepper48_98 raises them, but I don't know if he sells eggs. You could PM him and find out - he's a very nice fellow!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I have dark cornish bantams, I'm not a serious breeder just piddle with a pair of bought from Henry Mager. The bantams aren't very big(as in size) full grown just extremely wide, big breasted and heavy. They don't seem to grow any faster then any other breeds. Their temperment is friendly for the most part, a little skiddish when young. I would sell eggs but mine aren't laying right now. I like the breed a lot, neat birds.

Shari

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Cackle hatchery has good looking large dark cornish (not bantam). The birds I received from Cackle were good stock. If you can not get them from a breeder I would suggest Cackle.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    All Cornish Banty or standard tend to grow slower than most other breeds, and they mature late, Hens 12 mo- Cockrels 18 mo. They are traditionaly poor egg layers, laying only 50-60 eggs a yr. I keep and raise Standard Cornish.

AL

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have a standard dark cornish. I can't really say how good of a layer she is- she muct be one of those "stealth layers", but she did go broody on me this summer. She's actually much prettier after her first real molt. I had no idea what she was until she was over a year old. She is smaller than my RIR were, maybe the same size as my smallest barred rock. The tight feathering makes them seem little.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree with Tim.. Cackle hatchery has some good birds... All though I didnt get Cornish from them yet I have got other breeds ( Lt. Brahmas, Giants, and Gold Laced Wyandottes ) and all were good stock..

Quote:Like Al said Cornish are slow growers..

If I was you and you have a market for meat breeds I would get the Cornish/ Rock cross ..

Chris

8. Misty Oak Ranch

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    My problem is that the buyer here WILL NOT buy a white meat bird. I was thinking about a dark cornish, but it looks like that idea won't work. Any other thoughts as to a breed?

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    So Yellow skin breeds are ok?

Chris

10. Misty Oak Ranch

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    Correct. I was trying to think about maybe crossing my RIR with ? to produce meat chicks. Whether they are dual purpose mutts or whatever. I'm open to any thoughts on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by