dark crusty combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzannef, Jan 23, 2015.

1. suzannef

suzannef New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    We have 5 beloved chooks and they have dark crusty stuff on their faces and combs. I've treated them 3 times for mites and a skin scrape from the vet was negative for mites/lice and fleas. The vet says they probs have some kind of virus that will see decline in health and then eventually death - no time limit was given. What they have doesn't classically look like fowl pox as the scabby stuff is not in spots and doesn't start off white. But I'm hoping maybe it is fowl pox and they will recover in their own time. There are lots of mozzies in there house as we live in subtropics and its very wet and humid at the moment. Can anyone give any info re: their experiences/photos of fowl pox or offer any other advice about our chooks. They are eating, drinking, scratching, laying, and have good energy - so no other symptoms as yet. They've had the crusty faces and combs for nearly a month now. Would so appreciate any snippets anyone can throw me at this point. Thanks, Suzanne

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen mites or mite eggs on the chickens in the past? Could you post a picture of the faces and combs?

3. suzannef

suzannef New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Hi, I haven't ever seen a mite or mite eggs on the chooks before, but the vet took a sample of the crusty stuff and looked at it under the microscope the other day and it showed nothing. she also made a microscope slide directly from the skin underneath the crusty stuff and that was also negative. I have just rubbed coconut oil on their faces and combs and cleaned most of the crusty stuff off this afternoon, but in a few days it will be full on again and then I will take a pic and post it. Thanks for your interest in helping me :)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2 sounds like they might be eaten up by mites

5. ChickensAreSweet

There is a red mite that just lives in the coop and comes out at night. They can be found under the roosts at night, and require a coop treatment, repeat in 7 days (treat chickens too). Toss bedding as well each treatment. If you go out at night with a flashlight you may be able to see them if they are there but I have not dealt with red mite.

This may not be a case of red mite though, but just wanted to mention it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. suzannef

suzannef New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Here are a couple of pics of their faces. I totally cleaned them with coconut oil 3 days ago so you can see how quick the stuff comes back. Will check for the red mites tonight. Thanks. [​IMG][/IMG]

7. suzannef

suzannef New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

Hmm I don't have any new ideas from the pics. Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

9. suzannef

suzannef New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    No worries. I've spoken to a few vets now and sent them pics. Everyone keeps talking to me about fowl pox but also they all admit that what I'm seeing and describing is far from typical. so I guess only time will tell...till then they are happy and in all other reacts, healthy so I'm just going with that. Thanks again[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. gmf6

gmf6 New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Have you found out what it is yet, Our chooks have some thing that looks like that and I was just looking to see what it might be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by