1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEChicken, Jan 24, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Until today I thought Marans laid the darkest eggs and have admired the pics of the chocolate brown eggs. But today I've seen two posts indicating that Welsummers also lay dark eggs. So now, because I'm curious and always willing to learn something new, I'm wondering which are the darkest overall? I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule (for example, some Marans lay exceptionally pale eggs while some Welsummers may lay exceptionally dark eggs) but as a general rule, which breed would be considered to lay the darkest eggs?

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Ummm, I believe overall the Marans are usually darker but I don't have any marans. Just going by what I have seen on here.

3. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    I have both Welsummers and Black Copper Marans. I only have 2 Marans pullets. They are all together, so it is hard to tell, but I occasionally (maybe every other day) get a very dark more rounded egg that I assume is a Marans egg. So to answer your question, from my very limited experience and small sample size, I would say the darkest Black Copper Marans egg is noticeably darker than my darkest Welsummer egg.

Which breed do I prefer...the Welsummers (sorry, Marans folks). Friendlier, more intelligent, more vigorous, better layers, more consistant type, and I think the Welsummer's terra cotta eggs are prettier than the Marans egg. The Welsummer eggs seem to be more consistantly brown, where as the Marans egg color varies quite a bit. I have heard this also from another owner. As I said previously, that is one person's opinion based on very limited experience and birds from a single breeder.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Marans.

But I've never owned a Wellie

5. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    i have a wellie and she lays pretty dark eggs. Not marans dark, but the texture is different and if you crossed them the color would be really cool.... [​IMG]

6. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    they say black copper marans lay the darkest egg and wellsumers are more like a dark terracotta color. my bcm lays eggs the color of chocolate.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Good Question. I don't have either, but I intend on getting some Black Copper Marans this year for the eggs that I have googled and looked at. They appear to be darker than the Welsummer's, but the Welsummers are speckled making it an actually more attractive color. I have Cuckoo Marans and the McMurray site said they lay the darker eggs....well needless to say this is NOT the case. their egg color is no darker than my partridge cochin, in fact it isn't as dark. I was wondering if I was not feeding it properly until I became a byc member and saw the difference. People have to always check these things out from multiple sources.

8. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have three Wyandottes, a RIR, a Bl. Australorp, and two Appenzellers, and one of them is laying super dark eggs, too. Just don't know who it is. [​IMG]

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I don't have Appenzellers but I do have the others and in my experience the RIR's lay very pretty dark coppery colored eggs --- BA's lay darker eggs but in my experience they are more a rosy brown color.

10. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wellie eggs. Occasionally I get one that is completely covered with speckles over a terra cotta base color...cool. I mostly prefer the occasional "perfect" terra cotta colored egg we get...like the top left one, only darker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by