Dark Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylverfly, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Why are my chickens laying such dark eggs…I started feeding them puppy food as a protein snack could that be making a difference in shell color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    I have no idea, but I think they're beautiful!! Wish mine laid eggs that dark. As of now, they barely qualify as brown. Have your chickens always laid dark eggs, or is this a new phenomena?

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Well, it could be because they're a breed that's suppose to lay a dark egg!
    Is your bird a Marans, or a Welsummer, or a Penedesenca?

4. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I had a bout of very dark eggs when they started laying but then the eggs where normal. And I only have 3 cuckoo marans laying right now and I get more then 3 dark eggs a day. I do get some very light brown eggs and a few pinkish eggs as well but most are the above color. Could the extra protein change the shell color.
    I have white leghorns, EE, cuckoo marans, red sexlinks, and RIR hens all laying right now so I don’t know exactly who’s laying me the dark eggs.

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

The sexlinks might be laying an egg that dark. Some of mine are a pinkish brown while others are dark brown.

6. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Its your Marans......I want one so bad but I got a Wellie....

7. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, the spotted ones look like our Welsummers...dark with spots. We also have a RI Red that lays a nice dark egg, but no spots.
    I was hoping to have a sex-link that would lay a dark egg, but they don't. So I would guess it is the Marans and the
    RI Reds.
    Need to put in a camera...[​IMG]

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am pretty sure it's the Marans, and they are so pretty....I don't have Marans, but if I thought I could give them puppy food treats...I would be all over it to get those dark eggs.

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i read somewhere that after a molt their eggs will be their darkest when they start back laying again.....this goes for the breeds that are the "chocolate" egg layers....but that the shell color will lighten up as the season progresses....then they molt.....then they start laying again and the eggs are dark again...then keep lightening....etc etc.....

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My rsl's laid really dark eggs for the first few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by