Dark Eggs

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
Why are my chickens laying such dark eggs…I started feeding them puppy food as a protein snack could that be making a difference in shell color.

29737_darkeggs_003.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I think they're beautiful!! Wish mine laid eggs that dark. As of now, they barely qualify as brown. Have your chickens always laid dark eggs, or is this a new phenomena?

Well, it could be because they're a breed that's suppose to lay a dark egg!
Is your bird a Marans, or a Welsummer, or a Penedesenca?

I had a bout of very dark eggs when they started laying but then the eggs where normal. And I only have 3 cuckoo marans laying right now and I get more then 3 dark eggs a day. I do get some very light brown eggs and a few pinkish eggs as well but most are the above color. Could the extra protein change the shell color.
I have white leghorns, EE, cuckoo marans, red sexlinks, and RIR hens all laying right now so I don’t know exactly who’s laying me the dark eggs.

Yes, the spotted ones look like our Welsummers...dark with spots. We also have a RI Red that lays a nice dark egg, but no spots.
I was hoping to have a sex-link that would lay a dark egg, but they don't. So I would guess it is the Marans and the
RI Reds.
Need to put in a camera...
smile.png

I am pretty sure it's the Marans, and they are so pretty....I don't have Marans, but if I thought I could give them puppy food treats...I would be all over it to get those dark eggs.

i read somewhere that after a molt their eggs will be their darkest when they start back laying again.....this goes for the breeds that are the "chocolate" egg layers....but that the shell color will lighten up as the season progresses....then they molt.....then they start laying again and the eggs are dark again...then keep lightening....etc etc.....

Back
Top Bottom