Dark eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chickfever, May 27, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Although I'd LOVE to have some black copper marans eggs, paying nearly $100 for 6 eggs is WAY too much for me (hubby would really freak out then [​IMG] [​IMG] and he's pretty lenient with my ventures). I'm on a waiting list, but from what I've been reading, it takes a year to get to the top [​IMG]. So, does anyone have any purebred dark egg layers laying eggs to sell me at a decent price?

I only have "designer eggs" available for trade and no one seems to like those (although I love my little babies from them). But on the off chance you like designers, that would be great!

[​IMG] someone will wanna help me out.....

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Mergmet ( Margaret ) has black copper marans. www.endlessfarm.net

Mothergoose has lovely dark welsummer eggs but I believe she's booked for a while.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I would just get run of the mill Marans. They're dark enough. When you get around to breeding replacement hens, you can then select the hatching eggs which are darkest.

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I bought hatchery chicks my second year raising chickens. CMs and Welsummers. The Welsummer's eggs were more consistently dark and had nice speckles.

If the other two breeders mentioned here have waiting lists, try Lori, skeeter9. She has a trio from a breeder who bred primarily for egg color.

5. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Quote:I'm on Margaret's waiting list and I've pm'd Mothergoose.

Quote:I've got 5 3 week old designers, 20 eggs on order, turkey & quail eggs in the bator, plus a hold on 25 chicks for the weekend, not to mention the 14 chickens & 10 quail I have now.....hubby would die if I ordered 25 more and I can't find anyone close enough to me to split an order. Everyone here has game chickens [​IMG].

Quote:I have contacted her.

Thanks everyone!! [​IMG] You guys have been great the whole time I've been here [​IMG]!!

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Check out this person's auctions on ebay. Here is the auction # for one listing. 350060654343

They have designer dark eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by