dark eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by peartreehens, Oct 13, 2013.

1. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Hi all. I'm looking to expand my flock this spring. I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased Black Copper Marans from Meyer Hatchery can tell me how dark their eggs are. I'm not looking to breed (can't have a rooster) but would love to add a really dark egg to my egg basket. I'm looking at Meyer because they'll ship a small number of chicks.
    thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you're ordering from Meyer, I'd go with Welsummers for dark eggs. Hatchery BCMs don't tend to lay very dark. I have one who lays eggs the same shade as my wyandottes. The welsummer, however, lays a nice dark egg.

3. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Thanks. I've got two Welsummers and their eggs are very nicely dark. I'm ordering a couple girls (fingers crossed) from meyer, but need at least 3 to ship & I'm just debating who should be #3. Maybe someone with average eggs and pretty feathers...

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You could try a brahma! Mine always laid pink eggs, and that might be interesting. Plus they're very pretty.

5. ladycat

ladycat Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some Meyers BCMs and they lay a fairly dark egg. Not as dark as some of those wonderful dark chocolate pictures you see, but not too bad. The darkest ones are about a #6 on the Marans egg color scale. But I mostly get around a #4 or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by