Dark green/black diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clickncluck, Apr 27, 2011.

1. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    My speckled sussex chicks are 7 weeks old. One chicken at a time seems to have dark green/black diarrhea for the last 4-5 weeks. There has never been any frank blood visible in it. They seem healthy enough other than that...eating, drinking and running around. Theyʻve been on medicated chick crumbles since I got them at 2 days of age. Last week the feed store recommended Sulmet. So I put it in their water for 3 days. Didnʻt seem to make much of a difference. Then for 2 days all looked good---normal poop. Today again the dark green diarrhea came back again. Theyʻve been out in the chicken ark for a week now.

Any suggestions? Do I need to pay to have a stool specimen analyzed by the vet?

I am very new to this. Please help.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Here's the infamous poop chart. Chicken poop varies greatly. Dark green/black poop might just be normal. The feed store recommended sulmet because they were thinking coccidosis.

Hope it helps

Imp

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry clickncluck,
    Forgot to add the link, and thanks dawg for getting my back

Imp

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Anytime!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Chickens will have a variety of poo. Mine will get, on occasion, the dark green, runny, super stinky poo. Nothing to worry about. But if all they have is dark green runny poo, i might be concerned. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a fecal done. My vet charges $40 to drop off a sample and get it analyzed. If you don't have a local vet that will treat chickens, most avian vets will.

7. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    Thanks all. That is such a big relief. Iʻve been worried that they might die if I didnʻt do anything. But there was never any frank blood. I just thought it must be abnormal since it was so liquidy.
    Whew.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by