1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark green runny poop, yellow mucous and foam in the mouth PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by village-chicken, Jan 5, 2013.

1. village-chicken

village-chicken New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Brisbane Australia
    HI, I've been reading BYC for a while but this is the first time I've made a post. I have a problem with my rooster (what we call cockerels in Australia) Roger. Roger was the top rooster (we have 2) and recently he's been superseded by a smaller rooster and I think this is because he is ill. He's been staying away from the main flock and is often just sitting there. He's not eating as much as usual but he is eating and scratching around somewhat.

I noticed yesterday that he did a quite runny poo so I had a closer look at him and he had some crust on the sides of his beak. I opened his mouth and there is yellow mucus in there. He is also blinking a lot.

I isolated him last night and gave him some mash with rolled oats and his grain/pellet mix which he ate some of. His crop was empty this morning but he has done quite a few runny dark green poos. He looks very lethargic. I've also noticed his comb is paler than usual.

Here is some info that may help:

1) What type of bird , age and weight - Barred Plymouth Rock, 6 months old.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly - Lethargic, tail down.
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma - No
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation - None that I know of.
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all - a laying mash with vitamin pellets, water with colloidal silver and some echinacea root extract which I started last night.
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc - Green and runny. Still has a little white on it.
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far - None, just the echinacea and colloidal silver
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet - I can't afford to take him to a vet but I'm worried about the rest of the flock.
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help - I have attached a couple.
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use - They are in a coop at night with hay for floor/bedding. During the day they free range on our 5 acre property.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Sounds like maybe a bacterial infection? Maybe hes hacki.g up mucus?

3. village-chicken

village-chicken New Egg

Jan 5, 2013
    Brisbane Australia
    Yes it could be bacterial but I'm not sure what to do to help. Doesn't seem to be cough up anything. He's also stopped eating now :( I had another rooster a couple of months ago with a cold - he was mucousy and had a bit of a hoarse cough but he came good (then we ate him). This seems more serious though.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by