Dark gritty kidney shaped lump in eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bird9, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Hi all. I got a hen from someone and she was in an off laying cycle. She has just begun but I have found a 'dark gritty kidney shaped lump' in eggs. It is NOT a blood spot, and is in the albumen away from the yolk. I do not have a pic, but will get one next egg she lays. I have cracked all 3 of her eggs, and the lump ranged from almost a centimeter (~1/2 in) to just a small spot. Blood spots were there too, but those are not a concern for me. Has anybody had this issue? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    2 people like this.
  3. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Thank you. I believe they are meat spots. I will take a pic next egg I crack that has it. I believe this gal is an older hen, and I really only got her for company for my one hen. She has only laid about 5-6 eggs and last night I tried 3 - which all had that lump - before I quit trying as I was fixing dinner. Maybe she will only be good company for my other hen and not a layer...that is okay too. I have also seen some calcium spots on a couple of her eggs. Maybe she is just giving me her last ha-rah as a layer [​IMG] Thanks again. I now do not think anything is wrong with her, and that is good.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I once had a welsummer that laid a grossly bloody egg with the blood in the white of the egg. I only had 2 welsummers, and their eggs were the darkest brown, but I couldn't ever give those eggs away or sell them. So I would collect them for a week, and then just scramble the up for the chickens. They were perfectly good, but I could not eat them. Oddly enough she quit laying altogether at the age of 18 months.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by