Dark legs = Australorp right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peaguy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Seems I remember reading that dark legs like the ones on this chick mean there is a good chance it is an Australorp Am I remembering correctly? [​IMG] This is like the one we lost last night, suspect it never got enough food /water Dipped beaks one by one as they came out of box and apparently one didn't catch on or was already too weak? Have been spending the day trying to identify them all.... So far suspect I have Light Brahmas, Australorps, buff Orps, And another light yellow I still haven't Id'd.I have other unidentifieds but I am still working on them... they may have to grow a bit before I get anywhere! [​IMG] I don't care what they are... their all cute! And all females! I said so, that is what I ordered... therefore THEY ARE! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    edited for spelling....GADS!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Yup, I'd say it's an australorp. Good Luck with your chicks!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'm new to this, but I researched Australorps with my first hatch because the hens were Australorps and from what I found this doesn't look like the pics of australorps I found as chicks. Australorps have yellow on them and their legs aren't all black, at least the pics I found of them. Although I am no help because I am not sure what else it could be.
    Good luck
    Krista

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  5. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Mine had yellow on them too.

6. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Checked the Ideal website, They don't have Jersey Giants listed on there, or else I missed them? I am really having a hard time with ID'ing [​IMG].. Everytime I turn the page in a catalog I think, "there you are you are a..... " and then I turn the next page and [​IMG]I am no longer sure. Same with the websites.....I will never make a good Poultry Show Judge to be sure! [​IMG]

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
  8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Ideal in fact does have Giants. I have Australorps from Ideal, and your cutie pie does not look like the ones I have. Like another post said, they have yellow on them and the legs are not completely black.

Well, I looked at Ideal, not a Jersey Giant, but the Iowa Blues look just like your little girl! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  9. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    I agree the chick pic just don't line up.... but.... I'm not really finding anything that does other than the Jersey Giants and they are not like on the Ideal website, unless I just missed them??? (VERY POSSIBLE)
    These chicks came from Ideal Along with about 20 others I am not having any luck Identifying. Part of the problem is they are changing sooooo fast. Everytime I look at one then look away then back again it has sprouted a new colored feather that wasn't there before!

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My australorp probably roo that I picked out of the TSC 'assorted pullet' bin was black but had yellow spots around the neck and head. It was not all black like that chick....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by