Dark legs on a RSL chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by macmama, Jul 11, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    What color legs would you call these? The eggs were from a breeder near me. She has a RSL pen-- I believe a RIR rooster, SLW & Del hens... and maybe another kind? All 3 eggs I got hatched out female (I saw hers, and she got everything from plain to distinct chipmunk patterning, but there was a definite difference in the yellow/white boys and the reddish girls) I just now noticed (at 2 1/2 weeks old) that my darkest chipmunk chick has really dark legs! Would you call them black or green? How is this possible? I'll email the breeder and see what she thinks-- I know she's good at keeping breeds separated, so I don't know if even she'll know how this chick has dark legs-- unless it's a recessive gene or something?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    My EE's had legs that color.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I'm new to this, but I believe those are "slate" colored leggs - one of my EE's also has them.

4. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    She's not an EE-- I hatched her out of a brown egg, and it was marked CQ. ??

5. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Cinnamon Queen would match the "CQ". I don't know too much about that type except that it is a sex link.

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I read somewhere that those are also refered to as production reds, which is what I have, (someone correct me if that's wrong), and mine has yellow legs.

7. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:All the pictures I have seen of them are yellow.

8. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Is there any white hen that might be used for sex-links that has slate legs? I know Dels and SLWs don't. Hmm. Such a little mystery... I'd hope for an EE actually-- I'd love some colored eggs-- but I'm 100% sure she hatched from a brown egg.

9. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Some EE's will have a brown egg. They lay all different colors. That is part of the fun. In my flock, I have some that lay blue or green, a couple of pinkish colored egss, and one that lays a dark brown.

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Those look like green EE legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by