dark mass on day 3 candled egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by islandchix, Jul 6, 2011.

1. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    Hi, I'm new to this and wondering what I'm looking at in our egg. When I candle I see a dark mass that moves when I move the egg. Like its floating with some tiny bubbles along with it. I'll try and get a pic.

Its day 3 and it looks a little larger than on day 1, but don't see any veins or anything.

Should I just wait a few more days or consider this an infertile egg?

Thanks!

2. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    That is what I saw on day 3 in 3 eggs. I think it is normal. I am going to candle in a few days.

3. islandchix

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    its now day 5 and it looks the same with some little bubbles around the dark mass [​IMG]

I guess I'll just keep 'em and see if anything develops. Our roo was killed 3 weeks ago and I don't know if these eggs are even fertile. Just hoping they are.

The camera wont take good enough pics in the dark so I can't post pics [​IMG]

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Hey IslandChic, what island are you on? I am on the Big Island near souther tip. I am incubating eggs right now hoping to add some cool chickens to my flock.

5. islandchix

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    Aloha Christie! We are up in Volcano...brrr LOL.

we are incubating too, our first batch and wondering if they are fertile as our roo was killed 3 weeks ago [​IMG]

Good to see other Hawaii folks on here [​IMG]

6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:Awesome!! Two of my little kids go to school at Volcano Charter school. I have to bundle them up in the morning for that high altitude weather! Lol

7. islandchix

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    haha, yes! Amazing the difference in temps just by driving 30 minutes. The charter school sounds awesome. We moved here last Oct from Oahu and learned that folks have been on the waiting list for years. Good for you!

Aloha!
    Kat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by