Dark Pied or Split to White?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by casportpony, Aug 12, 2017.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Question for you color experts...

I just noticed that two of my IB boys have small quarter sized patches of white under their wings. Of course they have white flights, and one has a white patch on it's throat, so what do the white patches under the wings mean?
    @KsKingBee , @Midnightman14 , @barkerg , @WestKnollAmy , @AugeredIn, @Birdrain92

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Like in the wing pit or in the pretrain feathers on the side.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They are over the femur.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Can you post a picture please? The only thing I can think of is a Pied bird but doesn't show much White on them. Not a true Dark Pied since Dark Pied requires two Pied alleles, but a true Pied but not much white.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Both of these boys are from a solid IB male and a IB split to white hen.

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Then it came from the hen and is only split White or split Pied.

WestKnollAmy likes this.
  7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yes, I agree.

8. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    @Birdrain92 is correct a dark pied bird carries 2ea pied genes and are incapable of producing white birds. The only way to know for sure if its a DP is to either know the exact breeding info or wait until they are breeding age and then you breed the suspected bird to a white bird and you should receive all loud pied offspring. The term Dark Pied is incorrectly used to identify birds that are split pied or white and they show a little white in the flights, throat latches etc... i agree with @KsKingBee it is likely split to white or pied,.

Gerald Barker

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    KsKingBee likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by