Dark red blood? cloting fast.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peepsncheeps, Sep 15, 2011.

1. peepsncheeps

peepsncheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    my chicken has foul pox. ive been told to heal the site you must remove the viral growth and scab.
    but to my surprise the blood that came out was dark almost black. it cloted in a matter of seconds and began scabbing already.
    is my chooky going to die?? or have a heart attack?
    or is this a bizar symptom of the foul pox?
    its my first time dealing with the virus and all i know is their is no cure just TLC, or cull. not likley.
    ive found that dark red blood is blood with little to no oxygen.
    so any help would be greatly apresiated
    p.s my spelling sucks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my no! Don't peel the scabs off, just dab some iodine onto them. Fowl Pox is something chickens get from mosquitos, and it just has to run it's course. No need to panic. If the scabs look nasty, put some iodine on them, otherwise, just leave it be.

Hang in there! Things will be OK! [​IMG]

Sharon

3. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    realy..!
    oh right. i will not touck the scabs then. i think i was given a bad set of advice then. my poor chookie she is the only one who has the pox on her eyelids, comb, nose and wattles. i have seperated her, and am using zivirax for coldsores. the vet sugested it.
    but why is the chooks blood so dark? ive worked with birds for 15 years and only seen this colour in breakages of bones or deep wounds. never this close to the skin beffor.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    By pulling the scabs off, you are opening the skin to infection. Scabs are protective. I agree to just dab with iodine which you can get over the counter at any drugstore.

5. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    ok,
    the chook is on clavulox drops ( antibiotics) twice a day to aid any posable infection that may hinder the healing process. sigh! why is it always the best loved chook that gets realy realy sick:( that must happen to everyone here.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I know, I know, it's always the favorite, isn't it? Take care and let us know how things go,
    Sharon

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It sounds like someone gave you instructions on how to deal with Bumblefoot, not fowl pox.
    Google is your best friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by