Dark Spot on Crown (pics included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miabearfan, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Miabearfan

Miabearfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Aloha! I have a 6 1/2 month old hen. She overall she has appeared healthy and just started laying about 3 weeks ago. Just 4 days ago I noted a dark raised spot on her crown. Looks like a dark wart if I am trying to describe it. We are in warm weather and there is only one other hen that is the same age with her. I have no clue what this is, any ideas?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like either a pecking wound (chickens get those all the time) or the beginning of dry fowl pox. Fowl pox is a viral disease of poultry carried by mosquitoes. In its dry form, it causes lumps/scabs on the face, comb, and wattles. In its more severe, wet form, fowl pox causes lumps/lesions in the mouth and respiratory tract. If the lumps become large enough, the birds die from suffocation. Fortunately, in most cases mortality is low; the disease will run its course in 3-6 weeks. Basically the only thing you can do is treat with an antibiotic to help prevent secondary infection, and try to make the affected birds comfortable.

3. Miabearfan

Miabearfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Oh, thank you for the post! We have tons of mosquitos here, so I am thinking you are correct. The two hens don't pick at each other much at all, they get along well. Does anyone know if I can use Neosporin or other generic antibiotic ointment on her spot?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you can put some Neosporin or any other antibiotic ointment on her, as long as it doesn't contain any caine/cain ingredients--those are harmful to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by