dark spots...no movement???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsWright, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I candled the eggs a few days ago, all of the duck eggs looked great and I could see alot of movement.
    I candled them again tonight, I still see veins but some are hard to see anything I'm guessing because the duck is getting bigger and taking up more space.
    But....I also notices several small dark spot forming inside the eggs that do not have movement, maybe the ducky is just pooping already??? (so I am telling myself:lol:)[​IMG]
    I did see a couple that were still moving actively, but the majority of them look as if they all have the same dark spots inside scattered around. Should I wait? Should I throw them out, do I risk it spreading to the other eggs? Are they already contaminated?

2. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I wish I could help, but gee, I'm clueless.... [​IMG]

Maybe, just candle them everyday and take note of the slightest changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What day of incubation are you on?

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I don't know much about ducks but I quite often am unable to see movement in chickens after day 14. As the egg fills up their movement is harder to detect. Probably the same with anything that is starting to fill the shell.

5. MrsWright

Nov 15, 2008
    Oh I forgot to post what day of incubation I'm on.
    This is day 19. I did see one of the ducklings moving a bit even though it had the spots inside. The spots look almost like blood clots on the veins. I hope that they are all okay.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    By day 19 the eggs should be more solid as the duckling is forming and filling out the contents. You should be seeing a more solid dak mass filling the eggs.

If you are seeing spots in your eggs those maybe quitters at this point.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have no clue what you mean.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    By day 19 the duckling should pretty much fill up the egg. Typically you won't see the veins as prominently now because the egg should be pretty much dark throughout. If you are seeing small black spots and an otherwise clear eggs, they may be quitters. BUT, if you are still seeing veins...DON"T THROW THEM OUT!!! Just keep them in the incubator until a few days after the rest hatch...unless they start weeping or stinking.

9. MrsWright

Nov 15, 2008
    Yes, I can see veins in all of them still! Most of the eggs are dark masses with a pretty big air pocket at the top and some look as if they are kinda empty at the bottom with the middle of the egg filled. There is no weeping or stinking. So I will leave them and hope for the best.

Thanks every1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by