dark stripe on egg when candling day 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mtnkids, Dec 28, 2009.

1. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    When I candled my eggs most of them seem good. They are dark at the top and I can see light on the bottom third or so.
    But about 4 or 5 of them have light at the top, about 1/4 of the egg, and then a thick dark stripe, and then the bottom third is light. The ones with the light at the top and bottom, the light is not as bright at the top as the bottom.

The eggs are on day 10 right now. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    If you are holding the egg up and down and the stripe goes around the egg, it is probably a blood ring and the egg will most likely not hatch.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I agree sounds like a blood ring. That happens when the embryo dies very early on. Sorry. [​IMG]

4. mtnkids

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Well that is what I was thinking was a blood ring.
    I just wasn't 100% sure because the pics I have seen of blood rings, they were very narrow and mine are thick, but maybe because they died much earlier and it gets thicker over a few days? I just don't want to toss them out and find out. Should I break one open and see?
    Thanks!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Could it be a vein?

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:Sounds to big to be a vein on day 10.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I would, to be sure.

8. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Why not wait & candle again around day 14, before opening up the egg. Then you'll see if the dark area (under the "air cell" at wide end & above the "egg white" at pointed end) is a chick that will grow/develope more by day 14, then decide. Candling is a learning experience, you'll get better & better.

9. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had some thick blood rings in eggs--they look like ribbon or something

10. mtnkids

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Okay so I really don't think I am ever going to candle again unless I see oozing or smell something bad. I cracked open one egg that I thought for sure was no good with the stripe and there was a live baby chick in it. I killed it!
    I just need to leave well enough alone and no more messing with them, I feel terrible.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by