Darkening Wattles UPDATE-Pic Added...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Jun 23, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What would cause a birds wattles to darken and lose redness? Comb looks fine... Just noticed this tonight... Eating fine and laying.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Don't know from experience but have read others say could be lack of oxygen. maybe heart trouble? Might be able to find more info on Google Custom search.

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Found this picture on the forums. Not my bird, but same exact issue I am referring to. Looks just like this. Like I said, comb looks fine, just the wattles are discolored.
    FYI: My bird is a 14 month old Barred Rock who I do not believe has had a full molt yet. I would know it if she had, right? Got her as a chick May 2010.
    Anyway, wattles look just like this.
    [​IMG]

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    My wellsummer's comb and waddles turns dark purple sometimes.. I was told it was due to excess hormones

5. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    enggass - a hen that's still laying is probably just having a minor issue that's causing her wattles to be discolored; a laying hen is a healthy hen. Keep an eye on her, and your others. As has been said, it may be hormonal.

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks 7&8,
    For your advice, PM and picture as well... [​IMG] She is still laying so I am not too worried. Eating, drinking, pooping and Comb is quite red still - otherwise normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by