Darker comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NC29mom, Aug 4, 2011.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I have a black tailed white japanese bantam rooster whose comb was kind of flopped over and much darker than usual this am. Should I be concerned? I notice their combs do change color from time to time. And, I am aware there are blood vessels in the comb, which probably affect the color....maybe? This AM the comb was much darker, flopped over, and more "lumpy" looking. You know, how sometimes their comb looks like it has tiny bumps all over it? (lumpy/bumpy)

Sorry, if I am not making any sense to anyone. Luther, (this roo) is very special to me, and I just wanted a head start if something was going on with him. Appreciate all help. Love this forum because it's filled with so many chicken intelligent people. Thanks in advance.

***keep those chickens cool today......gonna be another hot one [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    We have a similar problem with one of our guys. It has to do with blood flow getting the the end of the comb. I think I read somewhere this is due to a heart condition, but you'd never know that seeing how spry our guy is.

Usually his is blue in the morning, I guess due to lowered heat rate over night. One he gets going, it's pink again. Of course if it were winter, there'd be the issue of frost bite - but this certainly is not the case right now!!!

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    **BUMP***

does anybody know??? My BTW japs comb is flopped over & darker.....its always been really red & upright.......he's already crippled ...they think he had a stroke.....hope nothing ELSE is wrong...My fiance says he thinks its bc hes dehydrated.....I take him water several times a day bc he has kinda a hard time bending over to waterers with just use of the one leg.

Thanks Gallusfarm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by