Darker head feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Naamahbengals, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Hi all, I saw someone use the word 'moorcap' to describe the dark head feathers on an otherwise light bird. All my current chicks have this dark head, even my white (who has a blueish head). Is this the correct term? Are there other terms for it? And could anyone explain the genetics behind it?

I'm guessing that since every one of my chicks from the same roo has it, and all the moms don't, that it's dominant? But I'm not sure because the roo himself was pure white with no cap - I thought 'oh well white just hides it', but my white chick (not *perfectly* white, she has some flecks of pale red, only noticeable close up, does that make a difference?) has that darker head, so...

If anyone knows more about it, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Still really curious, I can't find any articles on what the darker head over a regular color is called, or its genetics.

3. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Moorhead is only found,to my knowledge in the owlbeard breed.

4. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    I'm seeing darker heads on all the cross chicks from my white silkie. Is this a different gene, then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I know moorhead can also be found in Silkies, I bet in other breeds as well.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Moorhead or moorcap is caused in part by the charcoal gene, Cha. There may be more genes that enter into it, depending on the extent that the cap extends into the hackles (or not). Db removes some of the dark from the hackle area. Black crested white polish, partridge and grey silkies, lakenvelders and verwork are other breeds/varieties with dark heads. I think SilverSilkie has some information on his website, but I haven't seen him post in quite a while.

7. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    So is it safe to call dark-headed and hackled chickens 'moorcapped' or will I be told I'm using the wrong term / only xyz breed has moorcaps / etc?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would call any bird with dark head/hackles (as compared with the rest of its body) moorhead or moorcap.

9. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Ok, thanks. That's what I needed to know. :) Is Moorcap or Moorhead used more?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by