Darkflight just died :'(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tinychicky, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    I've lost 10 chickens in the past year alone. when raven passed i thought it was finally over. i was wrong. his son darkflight broke his leg a few weeks ago. i set it and kept him in a crate with easy access to food, water. i don't know what happened. this morning i walked to the coop and there he was, stiff, neck bent unnaturally so his golden hackles arched like rays of the sun. but he was gone. one of the sweetest, gentlest roosters i ever had and by far the most beautiful. as i write, the sour stench of death still clings like a gray cloud around me. Darkflight had the most beautiful dark eyes, so like his fathers, a long tail like his mothers, and the sweet temper and amazing bravery of both. and i can't get his face out of my mind.

my sister is four hours away at my grandmother's. if i tell her she'll be heartbroken and she'll want to come home. if i don't tell her she'll be mad at me. but i don't want to tell her. because i know that last year, at the same time as this very vacation, we lost darkflight's half sister, stormpuff. she'd never want to go on vacation there again. and i don't know if i should bury him. i know my sister would want to be there, but waiting isn't really practical. of course, i don't know if i could pick up that cold body and place him in his coffin by myself. maybe i'll just wait.

i'm not sure, but june, the hen he lived with, could still be fertile from darkflight. i could set one of her eggs. i'd have to do it without my mom's permission since she isn't here, but maybe i could still hatch one of his chicks.

Darkflight, you were beautiful in every way and you will be missed greatly, but i know you are with all the others-raven, goldenshine, stormpuff, bumble, wobble, sugar, dove, cloverleaf, and spice- all together, lying peacefully in the sun, forever, and beyond the hurt of the world.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    :hugsSo sorry for your loss - what a handsome boy!!!!

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    What a beautiful roo! I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    He was very handsome! So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry, it never gets easy when you lose a special one. [​IMG]

6. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    :(Sorry! He was lovely.[​IMG]

7. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    That's so sad! I have always admired Darkflight. He was gorgeous! I'm so sorry about your loss and I hope that June has an egg fertilized from him so that you can have his children to remember him by. I'm sure they will be beautiful.

8. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    When my aunt's dog passed, they stored her in a box in a big freezer until they were able to do the burial. He was a beautiful bird. I'm sorry for your loss.

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    That's a sad shame... He was a beautiful bird!

10. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss! Its tough loosing such a great one.. [​IMG]
    He was such a beautiful boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by