Darm Racoons!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ksmith, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    My friend started out with 7 chicks. He lost 4 of them to hawks. After he solved this problem by putting netting over the run, now racoons are eating their poor little feet [​IMG]. One of them has already lost a toe, and can wlk fine, but the other looks like she is starting to loose a toe and limps around. Can racoons really pull a whole toe off? He has wire mesh for the bottom. What can he do to deter them away? They have ripped though the wire he put up around the bottom of the coop.

2. alexarae

alexarae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    Th racoons can be very troublesome. i had the same problem while raising ducks last year. try using a sturdier mesh like chicken wire (or even use something thicker) make sure u secure onto the run good.
    if you see the racoons trying to break in scare them away!
    also are you sure that the ripped off toes are from the racoons. they could be from the mesh bottom...
    hope i was helpful:frow

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Chicken wire is useless as a protection. You/he needs to use hardware cloth to prevent them from getting through or pulling parts through.

4. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    The trick to lining the bottom walls of chain link with something tighter is to wire it INSIDE the chain link and not outside. The coon has a much tougher time getting any leverage because the hadware cloth is inside the 2x2 chain link.

5. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Thanks everyone! I will pass this on to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by