Darn bear

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Nov 28, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Another bear found my chickens. I know for sure it got one hen and a dog. What else I will find out once it gets light. I had a chance to shoot it,
    only I couldn't be sure of a kill and I would have shot up my wife's car. The power of this animal is amazing.
    Will update later.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Yikes! I'm so sorry about your Dog and your chicken!! Please let us know what happening when it's daylight out.

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

aw I am sorry about your hen and dog........I am scared of coyote's , I cannot imagine how I would react if I saw a bear [​IMG]

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Bears seem to be more active this year, many are blaming the late freeze we had that killed the berry production, removing a valuable summer protein source.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Panner...I am so sorry for the loss of your dog and hen! I bet all those fores have something to do with the local bear activity. Poor things....being burned out, and I am sure cant find food for the winter hibernation. However....I would call animal controll...or wildlife experts...let them know there is a neusance( sp?) bear lurking around. They can come trap it...and move it. BE CAREFULL....PLEASE!!

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    This time it is my fault for the bear getting in. I had turned the electric fence off to that section of the property. We were waiting for some family members to come over and they don't know how to handle the fence. The hen was in the feed room, which is an old powder shed. It is made from steel plate about 3/8 inch thick with a bolted door. This bear was able to get it's claws in the crack around the door and pull it open. The welds on the bolt gave way. That took care of the hen and some feed. The dog, Stupid (his name believe it or not) ran right up to the bear and bite it, end of story.
    I couldn't get a shot at it for fear of hitting the wife's car. If I did that, I would stand a better chance fighting the bear. Tonight will be different, I already have the cars parked out of the way. I placed some fruit around the yard and I left the door to the shed open. My night will be spent on the deck, whch is about 7 yards from the shed. If the bear comes back, I will wait until it enters the shed, then turn on the lights. I have seven 750 watt halogen bulbs. This is more than enough light for me to see just about anything. If this bear comes back tonight, it will be # 3 this year for me. A number of others in the area. While talking to the man that does carpet cleaning locally said he had one in his yard last week.
    He lives in down town Auburn, Ca. And between Auburn and Alta there have been five hit by cars or trucks in a month. Don't need animal control when I can take care of it.

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Best of luck tonight, I hope you get it, my prayers for your safety.

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I sure hope you get the bear rather than the other way around.

They seem to know when the current is off, I wonder if they can smell the juice in the wire?

Good Luck,

Rufus

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I bet that animals can feel the current running through it. Especially wild animals that have better instincts, so that wouldn't surprise me.
    Hope you get him! Let us know how it goes!

10. chicken_of_rock

chicken_of_rock New Egg

Nov 3, 2007
    no not the chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by