Darn BYC. Darn Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I just moved some of the last chicks out of my bedroom today. I got two left inside. And I promised myself that I was done hatching until spring. Because I'm completely out of room, and I'm tired of having chicks screaming all night in my bedroom.

But sure enough. Randomly my SQ silkies began laying today. And I cracked open the egg and it was fertile. The first fertile one. [​IMG]

So. Now what do I have to do. Why save some and hatch them of course. Because these would be my first very own silkie chicks. Darn it darn darn it. And I need to hatch a bunch so they can keep each other warm enough over the winter. WAH. [​IMG]

Looks like my room will be transformed back into a chicken coop. I'll never get the smell out. [​IMG]

2. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    nothing wrong with that. [​IMG] those evil silkies! [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I dont understand. Are you complaining, or celebrating?

4. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Quote:Sounds like, "Yes!" [​IMG]

5. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    OMG, I see some latent signs of silkie fever! Girl, you better do something fast:th or you'll be overrun with silkies. In my case, I'm overrun with silkie hens, roosters, silkie/cochin mixes; BUT I LOVE THEM ALL...one of my silkie second generations is sitting on the third generation! By now, though, the gene pool has been diluted!

6. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I have a great solution to you problem.... pack them up and ship them to me....I have lots of room and am making several Silkie pens right now so whats a few more. I could be your test hatcher [​IMG]

7. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Could you maybe set up a brooder in the garage or anyplace where you could set up a heat lamp for them? That's what I do. I set up in an unheated garage with a huge box 3 1/2 X 4 feet, then plywood sides around that (could insulate between also), and a removable plywood ceiling and I cover it all with a quilt to help keep the heat in. It sure beats having all the stink and dander in the house. Mind you I sell my early hatches so I never have to worry about them growing out of that space while the weather is still cold. [​IMG]

8. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Oh darn! You poor poor thing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by