Darn chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by merdock67, Jul 7, 2011.

1. merdock67

merdock67 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    I was reading a post earlier today about when chicks start to fly and most posters were saying about 1 to 2 weeks. I was thinking since I have my chicks in a brooder about 3 feet high I can wait on a top. They are only two weeks old. I know it was not five min. later and one of my polish chicks was on a light at the top (not in use). I got it off then it got back on a bit later. Got it off again then watched for a bit and removed the light. I thought well I took care of that then I went to get a cup of coffee and looked over the darn thing was on the side of the brooder just looking around. [​IMG] Man they are fun. [​IMG]

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    A couple of mine were starting to fly at 3 and 4 days old!!!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    At least your Polish chick can still see where it's going. Gotta love Polish. I have some Sultans that flew very early, too. Never had to have a top on a brooder that early. I have them in a raised coop now with a long ramp and they just fly up and down and forget about the ramp.

deb g

4. merdock67

Jun 20, 2011
    The best part was the little chick did it again this morning when I got home from work and was changing their water. I was like ahhh.... realy? I just hope it does not try to jump down my little dog may try to "play" with it [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Wow, mine me be really lazy then. They're 4 weeks and we just 2 days ago put a lid on the brooder. They never even tried to fly out or up. But the one started lifting off the ground a bit in what I call exercising its wings, but that is it.

6. merdock67

Jun 20, 2011
    They have all been trying to fly that one was just realy good at it I guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by