Darn Cochin cockerel!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cthrash1, Jun 19, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Kids won't let me have him dressed out so I threatened to give him away. They were okay with that. He is 3 months old and is "getting a little big for his britches"...I have learned that I can no longer wear my flipflops to the chicken house. He obvioulsly sees my toes as a threat because he does this little growly noise then looks like he is trying to find a straight shot in and out...Then attacks my toes, runs, and he's done. It's so funny but boy it smarts. He is also usually one of the few that eats the treat from my hand...But lately he bites my thumb first and then starts eating(I thump his beak when he does this)...He is so goofy. Must be puberty.
    I also have a beautiful BTB Dutch that has just been my baby, until I put the 8 newbies into the chicken house. He wouldn't eat out of my hand for 4-5 days...Guess he was mad at me for adding the extras. He is now back to eating his treats from me and the extras are finally finding their place in the pecking order.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH I bet that cochin roo is a beauty tho. I love those feet! I have a roo (i think)! I was hoping to keep my giant roo for breeding but if he gets to big for HIS britches he will find a new home and I will find a smaller roo. MAYBE a D'uccle! lol I have seven!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    He is being a chicken [​IMG] they do that [​IMG]

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    That's so funny. I have a Columbian Banty cochin roo who does the exact same thing! He's the friendliest and always eats out of our hands. He's also the easiest to grab so I love walking around the garden holding him.

He's about 20 weeks old now and just recently he loves chasing us around. We laugh and think its funny but he's starting to get a little too spunky and owe does he eye up my toesies!! and when I do pick him up, sometimes he gives me a quick nip before I grab 'em.

I think I'm embarrassing him a bit in front of his girls:) His name is Roscoe-pee-col-Train!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by