Darn Coons!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ORmom2four, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ORmom2four

ORmom2four Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    West Linn, Oregon
    Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the chicken world, and had to come where others would understand!

Last night, raccoons discovered a weakness in our coop, and got to my ONE and ONLY pullet [​IMG] (we bought 2 pullets, turns out one is a roo) I'm so upset with myself for not keeping her safe [​IMG]

Today DH and I are reinforcing the entire thing with extra boards and wire.

I'm so sad. She was such a beautiful girl.

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I am sorry for your loss. Do not beat yourself up over this. It has happened to probably all of us on BYC. Racoons are very smart and find little weaknesses in a coop that we would never have found, if it weren't for them showing us where they were at. All that any of us can do is the best that we can.

Dorothy

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sorry for your loss!

And welcome neighbor. I work at the Safeway in West Linn! [​IMG]

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm sorry--raccoon problems are what brought me to this forum, too. We lost two 2-month-old pullets, including my favorite of all of them, in one night. The next day, we put up hot-wire all around the chicken yard, at 6, 12, and 18 inches, and then another strand at the very top. That may have been overkill, but we weren't taking any chances.

What seems to have worked, though, is that my husband trapped the guilty culprit in a HavAHart trap. We haven't had any signs of raccoon activity since that fellow was dispatched.

Good luck protecting the rest of your girls.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sorry for your loss...
    Just a rule of thumb though...chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in, but nothing else out...
    Carry on...

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Danged coon tried to eat my turtle last night, while the fish was not so lucky.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

WELCOME TO BYC, by the way! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. ORmom2four

ORmom2four Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    West Linn, Oregon
    Thanks for all of the kind words everyone! We reinforced it like crazy today and should have a calm night. I'm curious, what is "hotwire" ?

Terrielacy, are you a cashier? I've probably been through every cashier's register...seems like I'm there nearly every day [​IMG] What a small world it is!

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am the head bookkeeper and have been the Bakery Manager, Front End Manager and Customer Service Manager. You would have seen me most at the customer service desk, or hiding in my office at every opportunity!
    Stop and say Hi!

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Quote:Hot-wire is an electrical wire that is designed to give an electric shock when touched. Some folks use them around the outside bottom of their run fencing. It is useful to deter predators. You can get the supplies for a hot wire at a feed store. It will give quite a shock so be sure to turn it off when children are around it.

Welcome to BYC

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by