DARN COYOTES (chickens arent even in the coop yet)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    so I am somewhat new here been here 2 weeks And I've been building my new coop for that 2 weeks (remodeling a semi old shed) and yesterday morning i was getting ready to go work on it more and my dogs were anxious to go out so I let them out and put my shoes on (I have a pit bull basset hound mix and a boxer, bull mastiff, Sheppard, mix very large dog and a westie terrier) so as i walked to the door I heard jasmine my mastiff mix FREAKING out so i ran out the door to see a Coyote 1 Coyote standing maybe a foot off the fence trying to push through WITH ALL THREE DOGS TRYING TO KILL IT THROUGH THE FENCE and its still trying to get in and i know it was after the terrier teddy so that &@^#@$(@*$ ^*(&@#$ Has a Bullet with its name on it and I haven't even gotten the chicken coop done so im gonna on post waiting for the varmint

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I hope you get the coyote before it gets your terrier. I have a Catahoula and a very large mixed mutt and had two Jack Russells. A couple of coyotes worked in teams to get the larger dogs to one of the yard while the other jumped the fence and killed one of my JRs. Some people have asked how I figured out what happened and it wasn't too hard. My JR had a mouthful of the long brown hair (both of my large dogs have tight short coats) and there were tracks in the mudd on the outside of the fence and for some reason piles of scat.

At least I know my little one fought to the end..she had the evidence in her mouth! Some bizarre behavior that I noticed afterwards was that the other three dogs laid in the spot where she was killed for about a week straight afterwards. They are all very close but I still get chills when I think about how we had to go out and physically pull them back into the house at the end of the day.

I was out on the deck when they came back for my other JR. Like what you described one was ramming the fence getting my two large dogs worked into a frenzy while the other went to the far end of the yard and was skulking around like it was planning an attack. My JR made a beeline for the house and ran right past me and slammed head first into the patio door. If I had access to my shotgun I would have ended that threat right then and there! My mistake was that I was so furious that I ran them off instead of seeking the more permanant solution.

Good luck to you...hope you never see them again!

3. lighting20

lighting20 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    goodluck and i have a newfoundland black lab mix he weigh about 150 and a bordier collie and yellow lab mix and they both run free and they killed fox and brought it back to the house

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:hope you get the coyote [​IMG]

5. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    @ Lbrad7, that is horrible the exact same thing happened about 14 years ago before me and my parents moved I use to have wolves I had a pure blooded timber wolf, A chow and northern red wolf mix and This VERY large pure white dog that i have no idea what He was lol and I had a little terrier (I think) he was black and i named him tazzy But I had the wolves and the mix In the back yard in a dog kennel that was electrified and it was like 8 at night and I let tazzy out to go to the bathroom and I was standing on the porch and all of a sudden before i could even react this LARGE coyote flew into the light and grabbed him he started yelping and all i head was the dog kennel flying apart all three of the wolves and mix tangled with the coyote that had tazzy and out of the dark came the rest of the pack it was horrible it was a flurry of yelps snarls other noises and they disappeared into the dark all in less than 2 minutes me and my dad followed them till we couldn't hear them any more and after a few hours we gave up and the next morning on the porch was 2 dead coyotes and 3 beat to hell wolves the tazzy was never found so its obvious what happened after that every few days there would be a dead yote on the porch till there was really noyt alot left round here (unfortunately they got old and all passed) and eve tho it took a few years for the population to build back up there back its very horrible I think there very pretty animals I dont like to shoot them but when they do that what choice do we have?

@lightning20, haha ya i remember those presents

@desert rooster, I will trust me lol

6. Desert Rooster

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I live in Eastern Hesperia, and everynight i can hear them howling not far from me, but i have my rifle by me just incase.

7. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    @desert rooster, really? are you in the city or rural route?

8. Desert Rooster

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    in the city, close to the R&R tracks

9. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Wow, I'm soooo sorry about your little dog, how horrid!! We have small predators here as well (coyote, fox, raccoon, skunk) but after a couple of kills by my Tibetan Mastiffs, they stay far, far, FAR away! Even at the small barn where my dogs do not frequent very often, the predators don't harrass the ducks or chickens.

Working livestock dogs already know the ruses of predators, such as distraction to do sneak attacks or flanking and its amazing to see them work together, well within range to offer help if attacked but eyes at both ends of the pasture, each facing the other end. Pretty amazing. I hope you are able to keep your chickens and other animals protected and again, so sorry about your little dog, bless her heart!

10. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    @seabreeze Yeah thats how my wolves were they would work as a team against them but they liked doing it so much we had to pin them up then after that attack we couldnt keep them in even with an electrified fence

@desert, there getting ballsy now, and i actually read an article here that the coyotes arent pure blooded anymore they are mixed with wolves? out of write wood dont know how true this is idk if there are wolves in write wood but i have noticed they are larger then a few years ago and also different colorings and markings now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by