Darn drake, now I have to build another coop & run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    History: 9 chickens (all hens), 1 duck and 1 drake (khaki Campbell). Separate sleeping quarters (2 coops side by side) and one run.

So this morning I do my usual and let all my feathered friends out. Right off the bat my drake goes after my Chocolate (mystery chicken). She isn't interested at all and pecks him. Here he comes again, this time my top hen goes after him to, to say leave her alone. Still doesn't stop him. Three more chickens get into the ruckus and finally chase him off her for about 30 seconds. All this time poor Chocolate is being held by her feathers and being shoved around by my way too frisky drake. I'm thinking OK, they need to sort this out for themselves and teach him a lesson. Poor Chocolate has tried everything now to get him to leave her alone, even going under our boat to "scrap" him off. Jumping up and using her claws to whack him in the head. This is going on now for about 5 minutes, when I finally had enough. The girl can't get away from him and I'm afraid that he is going to pull out her feathers. Oh and no he never got all the way on top (not for lack of trying). So I call all the chickens to me, Chocolate dragging the drake with her. As soon as they get close I go after him. First I scooped her up and stroked her to calm her nerves, then with chicken in my arms. I chase that darn duck for the next minute never letting him stop. I put her down now and stand guard. Every time he would look her way and start to move, I moved towards him and chase him again. He finally got the point and is contently following his female duck around once again.

I was thinking I would have to separate the two breeds but now I know for sure I will. I'm getting some more chicks in 2 weeks and one is a Jersey Giant Rooster. Don't want a dead duck in my backyard later, nor do I want my poor Chocolate harassed everyday. She is the only one he goes after.

This is Tuck my drake (earlier pic when he was going through juvenile molt)
    [​IMG]

This my poor Chocolate
    [​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Ugg....this is a sensitive subject,so I will type "censored" where needed.

Ive had this problem and you will have to make another coop.The drake can and will mate with the hen...and kill it! Honestly it will. It can inject its "censored" into her and kill her.where roos have a soft and short tubbie like "censored",drakes have a "censored" thats a good measure,and curled like a corkscrew.

This is true,of course I havent seen it,almost did when one hen was almost molested by a drake we had.

Im laughing to myself because Im at work right now typing "censored". Im so immature! [​IMG]

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Quote:I actually really liked the "censored" marks. And thanks for the info. I didn't know that a duck could actually kill my chicken with his "censored". I went and checked on them a couple of minutes ago and he is leaving the hens alone, for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by