darn d'uccles!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannon's Chix, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I put my d'uccle babies in my little "isolation" coop at bedtime because temps will go down to high 20's and it hasn't been near that cold lately! That's the only coop I can get electric too...so I put a little red light in there to warm them a bit...

Got out my handy dandy weather channel thermometer with sensor so I put the sensor in the coop...figuring I could monitor the temps from the warmth of my house. WRONG! I've been out there 3 times in the past hour because it's not reading. They keep knocking it over and sitting on it![​IMG]

Ok...going to go tape the dang thing to the wall...

2. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    sorry but that made me giggle.

Maybe they're hypochondriac chickens and keep asking each other, "look...do I have a temperature???"

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Aggravating sometimes, huh? [​IMG]

My 10 week olds have been dismantling their feeder. Don't ask me how chickens can unscrew a nut, but trust me, they can. I had a heck of a time finding the metal rod that goes through the center. They threw it outside the coop! I didn't bother looking for the nut, just went and got another one.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That reminds me of when I had a wireless temp sensor in my brooder. I kept waking up and checking it in the middle of the night, and was horrified to see the temp spiking up to 100 plus! Then I'd jump out of bed to go and adjust my brooder lamp. I couldn't figure out why this was happening only at night! It took me a couple of nights to figure out it was the chicks roosting on the temperature sensor that was causing the spike in temperature. Duh, me.

6. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Nothing like peeking into your brooder and freaking out because it's 110 degrees in there................

and then realizing the chicks knocked it down and are sleeping on top of it. [​IMG]

This thread is hysterical! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by