Darn Frostbite?? White band on comb??

DanyyChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southern NH
I can't believe it but my Golden Comet appears to have frostbite! Argh..I'm so mad.
I've been keeping such a close I on them. I don't have any condensation problems in my coop she appears to be the only one affected. I have an Amberlink with a fairly big comb. She is fine. The only thing I can figure is she must have gone to roost last night with a wet comb? Yesterday in the afternoon when I went to check on them for last time I notice there hanging water outside in run was dripping and they love to peck under it when the sand gets damp. Although I don't believe the temps dropped below freezing last night but it is super windy here this AM.
Is frostbite something that can have a delayed appearance...could it have happened two days ago when it was about 5 degrees here and symptoms just showed today? She did not look like this yesterday.
So will she eventually lose everything including white band and back? Will it be painful for her? Does it make any since to lock them in coop today during winds or is damage already done and none of this tissue will recover? I have rubbed in some vaseline this AM.

I am so sorry! Nasty wind.

I am worried, too. Yesterday morning it was windy here, and about 12 F. My two young roos were fighting in the run, and I feared they would get hurt. So I separated them, letting one outside.

He did go under the house which is somewhat sheltered, but I'm worried he might have gotten frostbite from being out in it. The other chickens stayed outside in the run, but it is somewhat sheltered. Later they all went back in the coop, and by then I had let him back inside the run, too, but I'm still worried frostbite may show up.

He's part white leghorn with the large comb and I didn't think about the frostbite connection when I put the roos in time out.

I hope your chicken gets better quickly and doesn't have to suffer.

That doesn't look too bad. The bad frost bite turns black, and even then sometimes just outer layers of skin shed off. Hopefully it doesn't hurt too much, at least it doesn't look swollen. I think it might take a day or so for the white skin of frost bite to show up.

I think that damage is already done, so protecting her from the wind or moisture will just help prevent any other frost bite.

I have been busy rubbing vaseline on my rooster's combs and waddles. Last year one silly roo had ice encrusted waddles that got really swollen. He did not properly shake them dry right after dipping them in his waterer, I guess. His wattles just peeled the outer layers of skin eventually.

3 out our 4 RSL have black frostbite on their combs, Poor girls, the one that doesn't have any has a smaller comb than the rest. If I would have known their combs would get this large I would not have gotten RSL and gotten other breeds with different combs. Our dom has no frostbite. It's been staying about 13 in their coop at night, it's a fully insulated coop with plenty of ventilation. They also have a 60 watt light bulb under their waterer to keep it from freezing. The high temp for tomorrow is -2!! They will not be going out of the coop tomorrow.

Thanks you guys. Seems to be a common problem. For some reason I thought I was gonna escape it. I'm not sure way.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom