darn husband...:(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stellas mommy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    I told him to give our day old chicks some karo water and he told me he did and we went up to bed. Well I guess he didnt realize I ment for him to hand water them and not put a giant bowl in there with them. I woke up to 3 dead chicks and 2 that are left are soaked to the bone.

[bSo my question is how do I get the karo syrup off the chicks? will they dry? For right now as it stands their feathers are just hardened. ][/b]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I'm sorry that happened. I think with all the stress, I would just leave them sticky and dry them off.
    Maybe a wet washcloth just to soften the mess, as long as they are under the heat, they should be ok.
    I would rather have them warm and sticky, than clean and wet and cold.

3. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Yeah when I found them they were COLD! it was horrible. they are finally starting to warm up now and quiet down.

4. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    oh gosh....sorry to hear this. I caught my DH doing this last week with our poults. He didn't quite understand that the poor things are babies and they can accidently drown themselves. Get the babies warm first and then work on getting them unsticky.

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    that is one darn husband

6. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    I guess it was my fault because I didnt clarify exactly what I wanted him to do. He did learn his lesson though i hope.

Do you think if i leave them be for right now that they would peck at each other?

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Well I did that one time. Put. Bowl of water.for my babies and some drowned. I felt so bad. I thought what an idiot I am. However it was a learning experience. Not taking up for him, just saying

8. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww!! sorry this happened to you. Sometimes when I give my husband directions I forget that he doesn't know everything I know. I always think he's psychic. This is a good reminder to be explicit. [​IMG]

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I know this is hindsight, but I have learned after 27 years of marriage, that if he can't find ketchup in the refrigerator, not to trust him with anything that might wind up dead because of his stupidity. Sorry

10. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Quote:HAHAHA! Exactly!

Yeah he felt horrible he woke me up and was like "ummmm hunny your going to be angry with me today I just know it" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by