Darn! I didn't check humidity when I moved eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CheekyMare, Jan 13, 2013.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

to the hatcher. and was surprised when I got up this morning and there was only the one already hatched last night. (in the incubator...surprise!). The humidity was only 38... should I interfere or leave it? I added water and the humidity is climbing now. But ...will they all be shrunk wrapped?

2. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    You can use a spray bottle of hot water to lightly mist the inside of the lid. This will instantly raise humidity by 10-20%. Call it emergency intervention. That being said, as long as your bator is still air, 38% is not bad for hatching humidity. I hatch right around 40% most of the time.

3. CheekyMare

That's a good idea! I will keep it for next time. It's my own fault. I didn't factor in turning my ac on to sleep last night. :/ The humidity in the incubator is usually around 45-55% without adding water. (tropics *shrug*) The humidity in my house is usually around 75-90% but turning the ac on brought it down to around 50% That was dumb of me.

4. wdeajr3

wdeajr3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Harahan,LA
    My Coop
    Friend did the same thing. He made a hole in the side to fit tubing to add water with a condiment bottle from the restaurant supply house so he didnt disturb the eggs. All but 1 of 28 didnt hatch.

5. CheekyMare

Well I have 2 hatched since this morning, ONE IS BLUE!!! WHEEEEE!!! Three more pips but I ain't countin'them. lol

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Wooohooo! I love blue birds!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    CONGRATS CHEEKY!! YAY!!! Isnt it AMAZING!!! Good for you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by