DARN I have an egg eater

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whatsup chickenbutt, Oct 28, 2008.

1. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    she isnt eating them, but she must be pecking at them. what can i do? I first thought she must have been shooting them out so hard that they were cracking (slightly) when they hit the nest, but today, I went out and there was an actual hole pecked into the egg. she didnt get through the membrane though, and never has as long as Ive had her.
    Can we still eat the cracked egg? and what if i put SEVERAL golf balls in her nest, would she know the difference between her egg and them?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If she hasn't started eating eggs there might be time. I would place the golf balls in the nest to frustrate her and hopefully she will stop. Collect the eggs as often as possible.
    What height are the nest boxes?
    Have you noticed any yolk on her feathers or wattles?
    As you probably have read breaking egg eating is a difficult proposition.

3. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I've been eating the cracked eggs as long as the membrane isn't punctured. The dog gets anything that's more than slightly cracked. My damaged eggs usually get that way due to my 5yo "helping" with the gathering of eggs [​IMG]

As to having an egg eater, I can't help you there as, knock on wood, I haven't had to deal with one yet. From what I've read here it's very difficult to break them of the habit. You can cull the culprit or devise a nest that allows the egg to roll to a protected area so it can't be reached.

Good luck!

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    The golf ball trick worked for a hen I have, she was also pecking a hole in her egg !!!! After I put the golf balls in there she stoped, give it a try before she starts eating them !! Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by