Darn, I must be the only quail raiser in 100 miles or more!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    As some know I got my first quail eggs in yesterday to hatch. Never had quail before. I studied some old post and learned that I better not ask for anything in this world except GBS. (Aren't you proud of me? [​IMG] ) So I checked Tractor Supply. THey don't have any, won't get any. Called Southern States, they don't carry it. Called another feed store in the next town over and they don't carry it. Gee whiz, I guess I should have looked into feed before I got them, but I never would have dreamed that would be a problem. Oh, I will find some if I have to go to the next state, but daggone, not only is GBS probably more expensive than chicken feed as it is, now I get to add who knows how much in gas to get it.

Well, like I said, I'll find some. I just like to fuss whenever I can. [​IMG] Anybody else have trouble finding GBS locally?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Usually feedstores can order it if you kindly ask.

Worst comes to worst get some top notch chick starter or turkey starter of 24% or higher.

Protein is key so if you can find soybean meal or an alternative to bump up the protein you are good to go.

I will get back here with more suggestions. Busy day.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    I have a feed store five min from my house but they only get 24% fed, so I drive 45 min to get purina 30%.

What party of the country you live in?

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I have the same issue. But in my case, I don't have many feed stores. I have one.

I went to get some GBS and Gamebird Layer (I find my hens drink less water if they eat Layer) and they didn't have anything. No GBS, no Layer, no Maintenance, no Flight Conditioner. Not until next week maybe. So he offered Purina Sunfresh Flock Raiser. I've used it before the last time he ran out, and since I don't have any chicks I'm OK with it, but it was frustrating.

I guess I'm glad there's a new shipment coming in since the last couple of bags I've had was kind of buggy. I didn't see any bugs, but I saw the webs and feed hanging on the sides of the container. I keep trying to convince myself that it's just static but when I saw the feed hanging from the top, I knew. I put the storage containers outside so hopefully, the cold will kill any residual eggs.

You could look on the Purina Webpage for Purina dealers and ask them if they will bring it in for you. Since you just set your eggs you have a little time. I'm glad you are planning now versus at lockdown!

5. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Mobotsu, I live in Christiansburg Virginia. I'm hoping I can find some in Roanoke which is about an hours drive north from my house. I called Tractor Supply again since my post because I recalled they do carry Purina brand feeds. I was told I have to talk to somebody else who wasn't there today about ordering it, and was also told that Gander Mountain in Roanoke carries it. So I called Gander Mt., but they do not carry it.

Chrishel, I'm glad I checked into it now instead of waiting till they hatch! I just took for granted it would be something I'd be able to go pick up.

Thanks Quail Lady. I'll check back later. I guess if worse comes to worse I can always feed them cat food. I'M JUST KIDDING!!! [​IMG] Whoo hoo, I just kill me sometimes. [​IMG]

6. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tractor Supply will not order anything not normaly found in their store here, I have asked the Manager and the Asst. Manager, and recently contacted corporate, no response. If you go to the GBS website it states they are a GBS supplier, same with my Rabbit food, they carry Manna Pro Pellets but will not order the Manna GRO Pellets, no matter how much I need, I have to drive 24 miles round trip to get my GBS, sure wish I could get feed mail order but no one sells it that way either, rant rant rant.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Southern States DOES carry the food you need. Ask them for their SPORTING BIRD Starter crumbles.UN medicated. My S.S. here in town ORDERS it for me whenever i want it and gets me however much i need. it comes in 50 lb bags. i just have to request it about 5 days in advance.
    BTW, it's a very good quality feed in my opinion.

8. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for that info mhwc56. I'll call SS Monday. The lady I talked to there the other day was intent on trying to help me get some, she just wasn't familiar with it. So if I tell her exactly what I need I bet she will get it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There ya go! I am going to look into Southern states as well. Purina seems to be changing things in the formula lately and it's starting to look funky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by